Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Lekoelea calls for new strikers at Orlando Pirates

Posted on May 24, 2026
45

Former Orlando Pirates midfielder Steve Lekoelea has urged the Buccaneers to prioritise signing quality strikers ahead of next season.

Despite finishing as the league’s second-highest scorers, Pirates’ forwards struggled to consistently find the back of the net under coach Abdeslam Ouaddou.

Speaking on Soccerbeat, Lekoelea said the club needs to strengthen its attacking department, especially with stars like Relebohile Mofokeng and Oswin Appollis heavily linked with possible exits.

“I think Pirates should place more effort in their striking department next season because Mbuthuma hasn’t clicked,” said Lekoelea.

“If you look at Pirates this season, our strikers didn’t score a lot of goals. We relied more on midfielders, who ended up scoring more than the strikers. We need two quality strikers.

“We should sign the Arrows striker (Junior Dion). Pirates and Arrows work well together, so you might find that the players we discussed have already signed pre-contracts with the Buccaneers.”

Orlando Pirates strikers not firing at all

Orlando Pirates capped off a memorable campaign by clinching the league title on Saturday following a 2-0 victory over Orbit College.

The win secured a historic treble for the Buccaneers, their third in the PSL era after previously achieving the feat in the 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons.

However, despite the club’s success, Orlando Pirates’ strikers struggled throughout the campaign. Evidence Makgopa and Yanela Mbuthuma combined for fewer than 10 league goals and were often criticised for missing clear-cut chances.

If Pirates are to defend their domestic crown and compete strongly in the CAF Champions League next season, strengthening their attack could become a top priority.

The addition of two proven strikers and another quality winger may be exactly what the Buccaneers need to maintain their dominance both locally and on the continent.

What’s your take?

Recent Posts

  • Chiefs’ Kaze on future – ‘We don’t know yet’
  • Heidi Giokos eNCAnews
  • Join @pule_jones and @abramjee after 12pm today on eNCAnews DSTV 403 with @Heidi…
  • Lekoelea calls for new strikers at Orlando Pirates
  • Treble winner Ouaddou casts doubt over long-term Orlando Pirates future

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Chiefs’ Kaze on future – ‘We don’t know yet’
  • Heidi Giokos eNCAnews
  • Join @pule_jones and @abramjee after 12pm today on eNCAnews DSTV 403 with @Heidi…
  • Lekoelea calls for new strikers at Orlando Pirates
  • Treble winner Ouaddou casts doubt over long-term Orlando Pirates future

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme