Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Nortje gets nod for South Africa’s T20 World Cup campaign

Posted on May 18, 2026
52

Injury-prone fast bowler Anrich Nortje was on Friday named in South Africa’s 15-man squad for next month’s T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka.

The 32-year-old has had a long battle with injuries but returned to action when he played in two internationals against India last month.

He was South Africa’s leading bowler in the 2024 World Cup, taking 15 wickets in nine matches.

Nortje, fellow paceman Kagiso Rabada and left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj were included despite seldom playing for their country since the 2024 tournament.

Rabada has been used sparingly in the shortest format and played in only five of South Africa’s 29 T20 internationals since they were beaten by India in the 2024 final in Barbados.

He missed the series in India because of a rib injury but returned to action in the current SA20 franchise tournament.

Maharaj has also played in only five matches since the Barbados match.

There were several surprises among the batsmen with Tristan Stubbs, veteran Reeza Hendricks and Ryan Rickelton missing out, while Tony de Zorzi and Jason Smith, each with only two T20I caps, were selected.

Selection convener Patrick Moroney said “big decisions” had to be made about the batting order.

The key element he said is the need to make a strong start in the power play and fielding an attacking middle order in which Dewald Brevis, David Miller and Donovan Ferreira are expected to play key roles.

He added the hard-hitting Smith offered versality while De Zorzi, who is presently recovering from a hamstring injury, was a top-order option.

Moroney said the SA20 provided the players with a good opportunity to hone their skills leading up to three T20 internationals against the West Indies later this month before they depart for India.

South Africa won only six out of 18 T20 internationals in 2025 but were seldom at full strength as key players were rested or injured.

A total of 31 different players appeared in the matches.

Squad:
Aiden Markram (capt), Corbin Bosch, Dewald Brevis, Quinton de Kock (wkt), Tony de Zorzi, Donovan Ferreira, Marco Jansen, George Linde, Keshav Maharaj, Kwena Maphaka, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Kagiso Rabada, Jason Smith.


Newsroom ZA

Newsroom ZA

Newsroom is a South African digital news platform built for speed, clarity, and credibility.

Recent Posts

  • Update: Eskom Executive Pay Hike Claim Sparks Wage Deadlock
  • BTS Returns with ARIRANG — Global Frenzy
  • ActionSA Wants Phala Phala Probe Reopened
  • Fadiel Adams to Seek Bail in Magaqa-Linked Case
  • Springbok captain Kolisi to rejoin Stormers in 2026

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Update: Eskom Executive Pay Hike Claim Sparks Wage Deadlock
  • BTS Returns with ARIRANG — Global Frenzy
  • ActionSA Wants Phala Phala Probe Reopened
  • Fadiel Adams to Seek Bail in Magaqa-Linked Case
  • Springbok captain Kolisi to rejoin Stormers in 2026

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme