Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Why I did not select Thabiso Monyane for Bafana – Hugo Broos

Posted on August 28, 2025
48

Bafana Bafana head coach Hugo Broos has revealed why he did not select Kaizer Chiefs right-back Thabiso Monyane in his squad.

The Belgian coach opted to go with Zuko Mdunyelwa and Nyiko Mobbie at right-back, leaving out regular right defender Khuliso Mudau.

Monyane, who joined Chiefs in July as a free agent, spent many years at Orlando Pirates but was limited to just 11 appearances last season. Since joining Amakhosi, the 25-year-old has looked impressive.

Broos, however, said it was too soon to select Monyane back into the Bafana fold.

“That was a guy that was on our list a year ago, and he played a friendly with us, I think, but it was more than a year ago,” said Broos on Thursday.

“When you see what has happened to him at Pirates, he didn’t play anymore, and now he is back at Chiefs, and you see little by little , but maybe selecting him for these upcoming games was going to be a little bit too soon,” he said.

Monyane has impressed Broos but…

“I hope that he can confirm in the next weeks what he has shown us so far in the past few weeks at Chiefs and then again, maybe we can be with him in the games in October,” Broos added.

Does Monyane deserve a call-up?

Let us know by leaving a comment below, or send a WhatsApp to 060 011 0211.

Subscribe to The South African website’s newsletters and follow us on WhatsApp, Facebook, X and Bluesky for the latest news. 

Recent Posts

  • Kaizer Chiefs reject signs for home club
  • ‘They are hungry for positions’:  ANC internal battles spill out in Joburg council meeting
  • Interpol cracks down on illegal bitcoin miners and cyber crooks across Africa
  • Actress shames Gayton’s ‘promises’ at Nandi Nyembe memorial
  • Sundowns fans sing a new tune: Cardoso on borrowed time

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Kaizer Chiefs reject signs for home club
  • ‘They are hungry for positions’:  ANC internal battles spill out in Joburg council meeting
  • Interpol cracks down on illegal bitcoin miners and cyber crooks across Africa
  • Actress shames Gayton’s ‘promises’ at Nandi Nyembe memorial
  • Sundowns fans sing a new tune: Cardoso on borrowed time

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2025 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme