Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Tshwane warns of severe water shortages amid excessive consumption

Posted on September 16, 2025
163

Tshwane warns of severe water shortages amid excessive consumption

Mapaballo Borotho

more water challenges
Image: Adobe Stock
  • Tshwane has warned that excessive water use could result in the city running dry before summer.
  • The metro is already exceeding its permitted water allocation from Rand Water by 22%.
  • If consumption does not decrease, residents may face extended water cuts.

The City of Tshwane has cautioned residents that persistently high water consumption could leave the metro without water even before the hot summer season begins.

This comes after the city announced that it has been experiencing an excessively high water consumption over the past few weeks.

“The levels of the city’s reservoirs and towers have been dropping extraordinarily in the last two weeks. The city has so far identified 16 of the highest consuming reservoirs. It has come to our attention that consumers who are supplied by these reservoirs are the main contributors to the overall high volume of consumption within the city,” said Tshwane spokesperson Selby Bokaba. 

Bokaba says the demand is exceeding what the city can provide, compelling the city to surpass its licensed figure of the amount of water it should source from Rand Water. 

“The water utility is currently pumping about 926 million litres per day to Tshwane, when it is supposed to be pumping 662 million litres per day. This is 22% more than the city’s permitted limit. This high volume of consumption is continuously putting the city’s distribution network and Rand Water systems under severe pressure,” Bokaba added. 

The City warned that if the current consumption practice does not change, it will experience prolonged water supply interruptions

READ NEXT: Johannesburg’s Lilian Ngoyi Street to reopened after two-year closure

Recent Posts

  • Mawelele dedicates new song ‘Forever’ to girlfriend Liu Bassie
  • Jason Liebrecht at Comic Con Cape Town
  • New star shows why Sundowns paid R58 million
  • R57bn profit sees Gold Fields deliver R4bn special dividends to investors
  • Major League DJz raise concerns over growing divisions in amapiano

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Mawelele dedicates new song ‘Forever’ to girlfriend Liu Bassie
  • Jason Liebrecht at Comic Con Cape Town
  • New star shows why Sundowns paid R58 million
  • R57bn profit sees Gold Fields deliver R4bn special dividends to investors
  • Major League DJz raise concerns over growing divisions in amapiano

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme