Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Rulani Mokwena responds to Alger exit and speculation over his future

Posted on February 16, 2026
58

Rulani Mokwena has addressed growing speculation about his future at MC Alger following the club’s disappointing exit from the CAF Champions League.

The Algerian giants were knocked out of the competition after suffering a 2-0 defeat to Mamelodi Sundowns in their final group-stage match on Saturday.

Reports suggest Mokwena had been tasked with guiding the club to at least the semi-finals, a target he ultimately failed to meet.

Despite continental disappointment, MC Alger remains in a strong position domestically. With more than three months left in the Algerian Ligue Professionnelle 1 season, Mokwena’s side sit four points clear at the top of the table and crucially, they still have four games in hand.

Barring a dramatic collapse, the 39-year-old coach looks on course to win the league title in his debut campaign. However, questions remain over whether domestic success will be enough.

Will Rulani survive the chop?

“I don’t know, that’s up to the club. I’m focused on what’s left of the season,” Mokwena said when asked about his future.

“That’s a question that’s not in my control.”

Clubs in North Africa are known for their high expectations, particularly in continental competitions.

While MC Alger have dominated locally, their supporters and management traditionally demand strong performances in the Champions League. Falling short of the knockout stages could therefore place Rulani under significant pressure.

His side struggled for consistency during the group stages and appeared second-best against Sundowns, raising concerns about their ability to compete at the highest level in Africa.

Whether Mokwena will be afforded time to reshape the squad and prepare properly for next season remains to be seen. For now, his focus is firmly on securing domestic silverware but in North African football, league success does not always guarantee job security.

Will Mokwena keep his job at MC Algers?

Recent Posts

  • South African singer Makhadzi cleared to return to work after accident scare
  • Siya Kolisi launches FOM winter jacket with charity focus
  • Ex-Pirates players who ruined Chiefs’ day
  • Child soldiers, pensioners, and foreigners taking over
  • Cape Gate says Competition Commission raid based on ‘unlawful’ warrant

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • South African singer Makhadzi cleared to return to work after accident scare
  • Siya Kolisi launches FOM winter jacket with charity focus
  • Ex-Pirates players who ruined Chiefs’ day
  • Child soldiers, pensioners, and foreigners taking over
  • Cape Gate says Competition Commission raid based on ‘unlawful’ warrant

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme