Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Ebola Emergency: SA Risk Low as DRC Outbreak Grows

Posted on May 19, 2026
56

The World Health Organisation has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.

WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak is linked to Bundibugyo ebolavirus. He said the situation does not yet meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, but it still needs urgent international coordination.

As of 16 May, WHO reported eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths in Ituri province in the DRC. Cases were reported across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.

Uganda Cases Raise Concern

WHO also confirmed two laboratory-confirmed cases in Kampala, Uganda. One of those cases resulted in death. Both people had travelled from the DRC, according to Dr Ghebreyesus.

The concern now is cross-border spread. WHO warned that countries sharing land borders with the DRC face a higher risk because of movement, trade and travel links.

Al Jazeera reported that WHO is sending health experts and supplies to the DRC. WHO representative Anne Ancia described the situation in Bunia, the outbreak’s epicentre, as “complex and difficult”.

SA Risk Remains Low

South African officials have indicated that the country’s Ebola risk is low. No Ebola cases have been reported in South Africa in the details provided by the linked reports.

This comes as local hantavirus fears have eased. Health department spokesperson Foster Mohale said there had been “no secondary transmission identified in SA”, meaning no local transmission.

A British patient admitted to a Sandton hospital after exposure linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship was showing signs of recovery. A high-risk contact in the Western Cape tested negative and was discharged.

What Happens Next

WHO says the Ebola response needs stronger surveillance, prevention and control measures. An emergency committee is expected to advise on temporary recommendations for the outbreak in the DRC and Uganda.


Chanté Wyngaardt

Chanté Wyngaardt

I’m a writer, editor and software developer at Newsroom ZA.
I build things, break them (on purpose), then turn the chaos into clean, readable stories. You’ll usually find me bouncing between breaking news, politics and entertainment.

Recent Posts

  • Thando Thabethe fuels dating rumours with Robert Marawa after cosy photo at polo event
  • WATCH: Dramatic scenes in Joburg CBD as undocumented workers are arrested
  • Proud moment for Buyile Mdladla as daughter earns 2nd degree
  • Orlando Pirates 90 minutes away from ending 14-year disappointment
  • Another shake up in Zuma’s MK party

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Thando Thabethe fuels dating rumours with Robert Marawa after cosy photo at polo event
  • WATCH: Dramatic scenes in Joburg CBD as undocumented workers are arrested
  • Proud moment for Buyile Mdladla as daughter earns 2nd degree
  • Orlando Pirates 90 minutes away from ending 14-year disappointment
  • Another shake up in Zuma’s MK party

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme