PICTURE: X/@CHRISELDALEWIS
North West businessman and alleged political fixer Brown Mogotsi is set to make his fourth attempt to secure bail when he returns to the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on 25 August 2026.
Also see: Brown Mogotsi retracts CIA claims against King Misuzulu and Mkhwanazi
As reported by SABC News, Brown briefly appeared in court on Thursday, where his matter was postponed to allow his legal team to prepare for another bail application. His lawyers have indicated that the latest bid will be based on what they describe as new facts.
Fourth attempt to secure bail
Brown has previously had three bail applications rejected, leaving him in custody while the criminal case against him continues.
According to IOL, his latest application comes after the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court recently refused an application by his defence to compel prosecutors to disclose the identities and addresses of state witnesses. The court ruled that the information should remain confidential because of concerns about the witnesses’ safety.
The matter was subsequently postponed to give the state time to provide the remaining investigation docket to the defence.
Brown’s lawyers will now return to court on 25 August to argue their fresh bail application.
Brown Mogotsi today as he enter the dock.
He said “Ku zokhala madoda” but it’s like he’s the one crying now.
He is having difficulties of climbing the stairs since he’s chained but the officer offered to help and he said he’s fine.
His reality has clock now…… pic.twitter.com/3Hrmnceqo2
— Nhlamu M (@NhlamuloNeay) August 20, 2026
Also see: Brown Mogotsi set to testify at Madlanga Commission
Charges against the businessman
Brown is facing several charges arising from an alleged staged assassination attempt in Vosloorus in November 2025.
The charges include perjury, defeating the ends of justice, unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, discharging a firearm in a public place and an allegation that he attempted to bribe the investigating officer.
The state alleges that Brown fired 11 shots at his own vehicle before reporting to police that unknown gunmen had attempted to assassinate him.
Investigators recovered 11 spent cartridge casings at the scene. Prosecutors allege that ballistic evidence and CCTV footage contradicted Mogotsi’s account of what happened, reported IOL.
According to the state, forensic evidence indicated that the vehicle was stationary when it was shot and that nobody was inside it at the time. CCTV footage allegedly also failed to show other vehicles in the area, which prosecutors say undermines the claim that Brown was followed by attackers.
Brown has not been convicted of the charges and remains legally presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Defence to rely on new facts
The latest bail application is expected to focus on information that was not previously before the court.
Recent reports indicate that redacted witness statements have been handed to Brown’s defence, with the new information forming part of the basis for the upcoming application.
His previous bail efforts have centred, among other issues, on concerns surrounding his residential address and whether he would be a flight risk if released.
The Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court previously found that Brown had failed to provide a sufficiently verifiable residential address, contributing to the decision to deny bail.
Brown remains in custody
Brown’s fourth bail application will therefore be closely watched, particularly after three previous unsuccessful attempts.
He is expected back before the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 25 August, when his legal team will present the new facts they say justify his release on bail.
The criminal proceedings remain ongoing, and the allegations against Brown have yet to be tested to finality in court.
Also see: Eleven Bullets, No Blood: Brown Mogotsi Survives Vosloorus Attack
Be the first to know – Join our WhatsApp channel for content worth tapping into. Click here to join!
