Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Broke Popular Actor’s Family Requests Support for Farewell

Posted on August 20, 2026
54

The family of veteran actor and playwright Solomon “Sol” Rachilo has appealed to the public for financial assistance to give the celebrated thespian a dignified send-off after his death left his relatives struggling to cover funeral costs.

Rachilo’s nephew, Kenny Takalo, made the appeal in a WhatsApp message circulated among the actor’s close associates and fans this week.

“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Solomon Rachilo (Bra Sol). He died at Bheki Mlangeni Hospital on Saturday 15 August at 11am. Funeral arrangements are still underway. The date for his memorial service as well as the funeral will be announced soon. We appreciate the support the arts community is providing to us,” the message reads.

Takalo appealed to members of the public who could assist financially to deposit money into an account belonging to Rachilo’s relative.

“Anyone who wishes to give monetary support may do so using this account:

Ezrom Ratshilo

Private Clients Current Account

Account number: 63064376619

FNB Primrose

Branch code: 252942,” he said.

Speaking to Africa Daily, Takalo confirmed that he had drafted and circulated the message seeking financial assistance.

“Initially we wanted to mobilise those resources towards addressing the catering challenges, but we now want them to address all the issues,” he said.

Takalo said Rachilo’s memorial service would be held at the Joburg Market Theatre on Tuesday from 9am to noon.

“His funeral service will be held the following day, Wednesday, at a time and venue still to be decided,” he said.

Rachilo died after suffering serious burn injuries when his home in Jabulani, Soweto, was gutted by fire.

According to information received, the veteran performer was asleep when his shack caught fire on Friday night. It is alleged that a burning candle fell over, starting the blaze.

He was rushed to Bheki Mlangeni Hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Rachilo’s death came after the Sello Maake kaNcube Foundation raised concerns about his dire living conditions and appealed to the government to intervene.

The foundation had called for assistance for Rachilo, including food and other basic necessities, after discovering that the veteran artist was struggling to make ends meet.

His death has sent shockwaves through South Africa’s arts fraternity, with fellow creatives mourning a man whose career spanned more than seven decades.

The South African Arts Creatives Network described Rachilo as a “multi-disciplinary pioneer” whose contribution to the country’s cultural landscape extended across theatre, music, literature and education.

Born in Pietermaritzburg, Rachilo began his professional stage career in 1958 with Union Artists, where he worked alongside renowned figures including Zakes Mokae and Cecil Williams at the historic Dorkay House.

His career later saw him establish himself as a playwright and storyteller, producing his first musical, Three in Number, in 1967.

He also authored works including The Township Housewife, published in 1972, and Grounded in Mshenguville, published in 1989.

Beyond his own artistic work, Rachilo played a significant role in nurturing young talent.

In 1977, he founded the Cosac Drama Academy, an initiative aimed at developing young and underprivileged talent and creating opportunities for aspiring performers.

His influence on generations of creatives was reflected in tributes following his death, with legendary actor Dr John Kani previously describing him as a “walking encyclopedia” of South Africa’s heritage.

The SAACN said Rachilo had left behind a legacy that would continue to resonate in the country’s arts and cultural sector.

Recent Posts

  • Brown Mogotsi to bring 4th bail application before Johannesburg court
  • Tweeling Domestic Violence Shooting Leaves Two Dead
  • ActionSA Phala Phala SAPS Court Challenge Explained
  • Khuliso Mudau injury could rule Sundowns star out for the season
  • Simple ways to work smarter, not harder

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Brown Mogotsi to bring 4th bail application before Johannesburg court
  • Tweeling Domestic Violence Shooting Leaves Two Dead
  • ActionSA Phala Phala SAPS Court Challenge Explained
  • Khuliso Mudau injury could rule Sundowns star out for the season
  • Simple ways to work smarter, not harder

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme