Jamal Meyer, 24, has emerged as the second accused in the Reiger Park mass shooting case involving the deaths of two Anti-Gang Unit officers and two women.
Meyer appeared in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday after his arrest in Reiger Park on Sunday. He is being held at Modderbee Correctional Centre.
His arrest followed a multidisciplinary tracing operation involving the Hawks, Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department, SAPS Anti-Gang Unit and Flying Squad.
Prison placement linked to safety concerns
According to News24, the Hawks said Meyer was being detained at Modderbee Prison as a precaution aimed at protecting both the accused and police officers connected to the case.
The case follows the deadly 7 August shooting in Reiger Park.
Police said Anti-Gang Unit officers Thapelo Tlomatsana and Sphiwe Sibeko had been patrolling the area when they heard gunfire and moved towards the scene.
SAPS said the officers were then allegedly ambushed. Two women were also killed.
Regan Collis also remains in custody
Meyer joins 23-year-old Regan Cheslin Collis as an accused in the case.
Collis was arrested earlier after an operation in which police recovered two R5 rifles belonging to the slain officers at the KwaDukathole informal settlement in Germiston.
He faces four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances and charges relating to unlicensed firearms and ammunition.
Collis remains in custody, with his formal bail application scheduled for 25 August.
Investigation remains active
Police have credited information supplied by Reiger Park residents with helping investigators make progress in the case.
Acting National Police Commissioner Lieutenant-General Puleng Dimpane previously urged the community to continue sharing information with investigators.
Authorities have also indicated that the investigation remains open and that further arrests have not been ruled out.
The allegations against Meyer and Collis have not yet been proven in court.
