Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Zambia Military Raid on Presidential Candidate Exposed

Posted on August 18, 2026
59

Zambia’s National Restoration Party and United Party (NRPUP) has called for urgent regional and international intervention following what it alleges was an armed military operation at the Lusaka home of its presidential candidate, Brian Mundubile, two days after Zambians went to the polls.

The opposition party claims heavily armed personnel believed to be members of the Zambia Army entered Mundubile’s private residence on 14 August and fired live ammunition inside and outside the property.

According to NRPUP, Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya was shot twice during the incident, while several people at the residence were allegedly forcibly removed.

The party says it was still trying to establish the whereabouts, safety and legal status of some of those taken from the property when it issued its statement. Among those it named were Patrick Mwansa, the husband of former president Edgar Lungu’s daughter Tasila Lungu; Mundubile’s presidential spokesperson George Chisanga; and Richard Banda, a member of the candidate’s security team.

NRPUP described the incident as a serious escalation in an already tense election period, which it says has been characterised by political violence, arrests, alleged abductions, attacks on campaign personnel, police use of teargas and restrictions on media and digital freedoms.

Mundubile called on his supporters to remain calm and avoid retaliation.

“We will not answer lawlessness with lawlessness,” he said, adding that the party would document the incident, preserve evidence and pursue lawful remedies.

NRPUP said video, photographic and forensic material relating to the alleged raid had been secured and could be made available to legal authorities, election observers, human rights organisations, diplomats and international media.

The party has demanded that the Zambian government immediately disclose the whereabouts and condition of everyone allegedly removed from Mundubile’s home.

It also wants authorities to provide access to lawyers, families and medical care, where necessary, and launch an independent investigation into the shooting of Kafwaya.

NRPUP further wants the government to identify the armed personnel involved, disclose their chain of command and explain the legal authority for entering Mundubile’s home and firing live ammunition.

The party has also called for an explanation from President Hakainde Hichilema, who is commander-in-chief of Zambia’s defence forces, regarding what was known about the operation and what action is being taken to establish accountability.

NRPUP has urged the Southern African Development Community (SADC), African Union, Commonwealth, United Nations, diplomatic missions, election observers and international human rights organisations to engage Hichilema and the Zambian government directly.

The party argues that the alleged incident should not be viewed in isolation, pointing to a series of incidents it says affected its presidential campaign in the months leading up to the election.

These include the detention of Mundubile at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in March, when he was charged in connection with alleged hate speech under cyber legislation. He was later released on police bond, but NRPUP says his passport remains withheld.

The party also cited the arrests of its parliamentary candidates and members, the deaths of people linked to political clashes, attacks on campaign vehicles and convoys, and the use of teargas to disrupt campaign activities.

In July, NRPUP reported that its campaign musicians had been attacked in Solwezi. One of its campaign supporters, musician Clifford Dimba, known as General Kanene, was also hospitalised following a machete attack that the party linked to campaign activity.

NRPUP said police also used teargas during campaign activities in Lusaka and Mongu, while its presidential convoy was stopped and, on another occasion, allegedly confronted by people who threw stones.

The party further raised concerns over the detention of campaign personnel and digital team members during the final days before polling.

However, NRPUP acknowledged that some of the allegations surrounding political violence remain disputed and called for all incidents to be investigated impartially, regardless of the political affiliation of those involved.

The party said it did not claim, without evidence, that President Hichilema personally ordered acts of political violence.

Instead, it argued that the president has a constitutional and political responsibility to ensure that security institutions operate impartially and that state power is not used to undermine legitimate political competition.

The statement comes amid wider concerns raised by human rights organisations about Zambia’s political and civic environment.

NRPUP cited an Amnesty International briefing published on 10 August, which raised concerns about restrictions on freedom of expression, peaceful assembly, association and media freedom ahead of the election.

The party also referred to concerns raised by Zambia’s Human Rights Commission and the Law Association of Zambia over political violence and the need for impartial accountability.

NRPUP called on international observers to monitor the counting and declaration of election results, as well as the safety of political candidates, campaign workers, journalists and ordinary citizens during the post-election period.

The party also urged President Hichilema to respect and accept the will of Zambian voters as expressed through the ballot.

NRPUP stressed that it was not asking foreign governments or international organisations to determine Zambia’s political future, saying that decision belongs to Zambian voters.

Instead, it wants international partners to use their diplomatic influence to ensure that the election outcome is respected and that those involved in alleged violence and unlawful conduct are held accountable.

The party also called on its own supporters to remain peaceful and disciplined while urging members of the military, police and other security services to uphold the law.

“The votes have been cast. The will of the Zambian people must now be respected,” NRPUP said.

Recent Posts

  • Second Suspect Due in Court Over Reiger Park Murders
  • LIVE: MADLANGA COMMISSION HEARINGS | 18 AUGUST 2026 via YouTube
  • Mamelodi Sundowns vs Marumo Gallants Match Preview
  • Emtee’s bail revoked over texts allegedly sent to ex
  • Orlando Pirates face fixture nightmare as MTN8 and CAF Champions League loom

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Second Suspect Due in Court Over Reiger Park Murders
  • LIVE: MADLANGA COMMISSION HEARINGS | 18 AUGUST 2026 via YouTube
  • Mamelodi Sundowns vs Marumo Gallants Match Preview
  • Emtee’s bail revoked over texts allegedly sent to ex
  • Orlando Pirates face fixture nightmare as MTN8 and CAF Champions League loom

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme