Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Resign or face disciplinary action: ANCYL gives mayor ultimatum as motion of no confidence looms

Posted on May 23, 2026
76

The ANC Youth League in the Norman Mashabane region said the mayor’s conduct was ‘backward’ and ‘shameful’.

Greater Tzaneen local municipality mayor Gerson Molapisane is facing fresh calls for his resignation, barely two weeks after both the ANC in Limpopo and the party’s regional structure in the Norman Mashabane region made similar demands.

The provincial ANC leadership had earlier taken a resolution for the mayor to vacate office for allegedly failing to bankroll ANC gigs, passing the message on to the party’s regional structure, led by acting chairperson Dagma Mamanyoha and regional secretary Sonia Ngobeni-Maswanganyi, to action. But Molapisane would not budge.

ANC provincial secretary, Vhamusanda Reuben Madadzhe, visited the municipality during a special council sitting last Friday, but still, Molapisane stood defiant. He said he was appointed to the position only by the ANC national leadership at Luthuli House.

Now the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) in the Norman Mashabane region has joined the calls for his resignation, adding that his conduct was “backward” and “shameful” and that the mayor is ill-disciplined.

“The mayor has arrogantly refused to comply with the decision of the ANC to redeploy him. His reckless and unacceptable conduct constitutes a direct attack on the principle of democratic centralism, which remains the cornerstone of unity, discipline and organisational coherence within the ANC,” said regional spokesperson Thabo Malatji.

‘A dangerous display of political ill-discipline’

He claimed Molapisane reflected tendencies of factionalism, entitlement and a counter-revolutionary posture.

“The ANC Youth League views this act as a betrayal of the trust bestowed upon the mayor by the movement. Deployment is neither a right nor a personal possession. It is a mandate of the ANC, subject to the organisation’s authority or strategic direction.

“To reject redeployment is tantamount to rejecting the ANC itself. What is unfolding in Greater Tzaneen is a dangerous display of political ill-discipline. As the youth of the ANC in this region, we refuse to be passive in the face of such arrogance.

“We refuse to inherit an organisation where leaders openly undermine the decisions of the party and face no consequences. This conduct sends a deeply damaging message to young cadres of the movement about accountability, loyalty and respect for collective leadership.”

He said the mayor must immediately submit to the organisation’s decision or face disciplinary action.

Not giving in to alleged corruption

Those close to Molapisane believe the calls are a witch-hunt, targeting him for not allowing the party to plunder state resources.

“Because he hates corruption with precision and distinction, he refused to use service delivery money to line up the pockets of a few ANC echelons,” said one of his allies, who asked for his name to be withheld.

Motion of no confidence

A motion of no confidence was tabled against the mayor last week, but it was ruled unprocedural. It will now likely be heard at the next council sitting, set for 29 May.

ANC Limpopo spokesperson, Tonny Rachoene, said the process to put things in order at the Greater Tzaneen Municipality was right underway.

Rachoene said the provincial leadership of the ANC had met with the political leadership of both the municipality and the Norman Mashabane region, and agreed in principle with the processes that are still unfolding.

Rachoene, who is also a former Limpopo ANC Youth League chairperson, appealed for calm in the matter.

Support Local Journalism

Add The Citizen as a Preferred Source on Google and follow us on Google News to see more of our trusted reporting in Google News and Top Stories.

Recent Posts

  • Lupita Nyong’o lets loose in a BTS dance break
  • Pirates urged to ‘get facts right’ ahead of make-or-break ORBIT tie
  • ‘Skeem Saam’ fans react to Pretty and Lehasa’s wedding
  • Suspects aged between 19 and 46 arrested for illicit mining operations in Mpumalanga
  • Kaizer Chiefs youngster: Boxing and a psychologist helped me

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Lupita Nyong’o lets loose in a BTS dance break
  • Pirates urged to ‘get facts right’ ahead of make-or-break ORBIT tie
  • ‘Skeem Saam’ fans react to Pretty and Lehasa’s wedding
  • Suspects aged between 19 and 46 arrested for illicit mining operations in Mpumalanga
  • Kaizer Chiefs youngster: Boxing and a psychologist helped me

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme