Skip to content
South African Live
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Business
  • About us
Menu

Leon Schuster Health Update Shocks Fans

Posted on May 18, 2026
49

South African comedy legend Leon Schuster has shared a troubling update about his health. According to a report by The South African, the 74-year-old star is now confined to bed and relying on pain medication after multiple failed back surgeries.

The actor reportedly injured his back in 2023 while filming a movie. Since then, he has undergone several corrective procedures. But instead of relief, the surgeries have left him with chronic pain and, in his own words, “living on pain pills”, according to The South African.

Schuster remains one of the country’s best-known entertainers. He built a loyal fan base through prank-driven comedy and hit films including You Must Be Joking, Oh Schucks, I’m Gatvol and Mr Bones.

Hope remains despite pain

Even with his latest setback, Schuster is still looking ahead. The South African reported that he said he hopes to recover fully and make another movie, this time inspired by his Christian faith.

He added: “I trust in the Lord.”

That message of faith comes as the veteran performer faces one of the most difficult chapters of his life. For many South Africans, Schuster has long been a symbol of laughter and light-hearted entertainment. This update shows the painful reality behind the scenes.

He has also spoken about loneliness

Last year, Schuster opened up about another private struggle: depression and loneliness. In the KykNET docuseries Schuster, he said: “I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

He also shared his fear of “growing old alone”, according to The South African. Schuster described Sunday evenings as especially difficult, saying he tries to have his children visit so he can avoid being alone with his thoughts.

“You look for company, you don’t want to be alone,” he said in the docuseries, as quoted by the publication.

A deeply personal chapter

Schuster’s health struggles have put his personal life back in focus too. The South African noted that he was last linked to estate agent Amanda Coetzee, who was 20 years younger than him. The couple split in 2021.

For now, Schuster’s message is clear: the pain is real, but he has not given up. Even from bed, one of South Africa’s most loved stars is still holding on to hope.

Recent Posts

  • Nortje gets nod for South Africa’s T20 World Cup campaign
  • Elon Musk’s war on OpenAI ends in crushing defeat
  • South Africa’s Growth Outlook Takes Another Hit
  • Bond Reboot Looms as Amazon Takes Creative Control of 007
  • Gauteng records alarming rise in hypertension among adults under 45

First established in 2020 by iReport Media Group, southafricanlive.co.za has evolved to become one of the most-read websites in South Africa. Published by iReport Media Group since 2020, find out all about us right here.

We bring you the latest breaking news updates, from South Africa and the African continent. South African Live is an independent, no agenda and no bias online news disruptor that goes beyond the news and behind the headlines. We believe what sets us apart is that we deliver news differently. While we hold ourselves to the utmost journalistic integrity of being truthful, we encourage a writing style that is acerbic and conversational, when appropriate.

LATEST NEWS

  • Nortje gets nod for South Africa’s T20 World Cup campaign
  • Elon Musk’s war on OpenAI ends in crushing defeat
  • South Africa’s Growth Outlook Takes Another Hit
  • Bond Reboot Looms as Amazon Takes Creative Control of 007
  • Gauteng records alarming rise in hypertension among adults under 45

Menu

  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Fashion
  • Sports
  • About us
©2026 South African Live | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme